What began as a dream and a hope in the minds of two people living in the community, Promise Development Corporation is now a full-fledged organization committed to making a difference in the lives of the people it serves.
Promise began in 2000 as North Memphis Community Development Corporation, when two (2) long-time residents living in the community took steps to address issues in their community. They had seen their once-thriving neighborhood succumb to blight, crime and deterioration.
North Memphis was identified by the Division of Housing and Community Development (HCD) as a targeted geographic area for redevelopment. Located in census tract 2, this community is one of the poorest census tracts in the county:
- The median worker income is $22,203.
- The poverty rate is 35.2%.
- Workers work 37/hrs per week on average.
- At the time of the last census, the unemployment rate was 14.0%.
- Homes have 5 rooms on average.
- 37.4% of the homes are rentals and 38.7% are occupied by their owners.
Source: Data provided by the US Census